Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 5 - Monday, August 31

I didn't feel well today - probably jet-lag/fatigue combo. I slept late as I stayed up late, reading and eating trail mix. Forced myself out of the apartment in the afternoon to go to the Goethe Institute for a placement test and a small financial hemorrhage, for an 8-week intensive German class; starts tomorrow. I placed just slightly above the very first level so I hope I'm not in over my head. Walked a bit, ate a crepe at Alexanderplatz station, headed to Hansa Viertel to see another apartment; another no-go. I am feeling overwhelmed by the problem of finding digs.

Then I went to the Galeria, a very nice Frederick & Nelson-style department store, and purchased a black leather bag to carry my "school supplies" and laptop in so that I can check housing ads on my breaks; hoping someone at the G.I. (upper or lower?) can help me a bit deciphering the lingo.

Got on the S-Bahn to come home and went the wrong direction; realized it when I thought it was odd to be traveling to Friedrichshain in the late afternoon with the sun in my eyes. It's in EAST Berlin.

Hannah's friends have finally gone back to Vienna so I got her for dinner again tonight - more Vietnamese. I'm so anxious my stomach is in a clench so I don't eat much during the day. Light pho meal was perfect.

Looked online at apartment ads when we got home. Sally called on her break and talked to Hannah - good for the sisters to catch up.

Hannah took Maggie on a long walk in Treptower Park this afternoon so Maggie is happily exhausated in her crate. Time to read in bed.

Getting up early starting tomorrow to go to German class; Hannah and I laughed while setting the alarm on my new cell phone ("Handy"); we chose "Beach" as the theme.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Margaret and Maggie--Thank you for letting me know about your blog of your adventures in Berlin. I wish you well with the apartment hunting and your new German classes! Wow, wowee. You are one brave lady. It will be interesting to see how you adapt to this new world. Hugs and all the best, Daurel (I'm not sure if I signed up correctly, blogs are new world for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret , Chief of the magpies!! I am wishing you enjoyable and stress-free days now that you are in Germany!! You will have a system perfected before you know it and will be navigating the area like a pro! Missing you...was thinking about you when I got the email about the 3rd annual Monothon. I am unable to do this year's because I am heading for a few days to MT that week. Not much of a decision of what do with those two options. We visited MT first week of August and it was good to see kids and my little Sam. One of the galleries there sold a bunch of art for me, so need to replenish their supply.
    Good luck with the apt hunt...I'm happy that Hannah is there to be with. Aren't kids great to have in your life??? I felt very appreciative of Chris when we just visited MT. It's like he really tried to make our stay pleasant and all. Makes it worth the early teen years!!!
    I will follow the blog...keep the battle raging girl friend!!! Miss ya! bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the German and that's a sincere good luck - you definitely have got to go for it......and, yes you're probably in over your head but you're an over-achiever so you'll be a star. I must say that I am thinking of Maggie a lot as I write these comments to you tonight - poor dog must think she has landed on alien planet or some such spot translated into dog language. She will no doubt be speaking German before you do - but then she only has to eat, pee, sleep and listen. You have to do all of those things in addition to studying, finding apartments, giving momentary thought to what were you thinking, and you have to SIT, STAY, and SPEAK when called upon in German class. Steven has just come upstairs and I've told him I am booking my Germany tickets - he was not amused I think as I've just finished booking our shore excursions for the cruise coming up later this month, planned a women's retreat for myself in October, coordinated Thanksgiving and Christmas with my sister in Seattle (we were there last weekend for 4 days) and booked all of our Maui reservations for February - actually he was sort of wondering when in the heck I would find time to squeeze in another trip - I LOVE retirement!:)

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete